Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weedy Words

"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven...a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted" (Ecc. 3:1-20.

Weedy Works

This spring, I was in my cottage garden weeding out the small patches of grass that was growing there. I found that if I don't get them early while they are small and the ground is damp, it is so much harder to get them out later. I want to get them out for more reasons then just how it looks. I have found that grass can take over a garden and choke out the flowers I want to grow there, leaving it a confusing weedy mess that does not bless anyone looking at it.

Writing a story, song, poem or sermon can be a lot like my cottage garden. Weedy words can choke out the impact that the piece that you are writing along the path you want it to go. Gor example: If I am writing a story about a girl who is running a race and in the middle of it, I get off the story line and start to give details of things that are along the way.Those words would be weedy words. Why? Because the details are taking away from the story line, not adding to it.

When we write for the Lord We need to stay away from weedy words, so we can give people a clear message from God.

Happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Toni! It has always been my practice to write things out then read them over a couple times, editing out that which is unnecessary. It's important not to cut out too much to the point that we minimize the visual picture we put in the reader's mind, however. If they can't see it, they can't follow the story. Keep blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete